Home
> Ningbo China > History and Culture > Historical Sites
Shipu Ancient Town
2016-09-07 17:31 Text Size: A A A

Shipu is an ancient fishing port of more than 600 hundred years, long known as “key city on the middle maritime route of Zhejiang”. It is located on the south part of Yangtze Delta Economic Zone, on the middle coast of Zhejiang, and in the south of Xiangshan County of Ningbo. Backed by hills and facing the sea, Shipu Harbor covers an area of 119.5 square kilometers, including 176 coastal islands. The ancient town is built along a mountain, nestled by the hills and facing the sea, so people depict it as “town on the harbor, hills in the town. One side of the town being the harbor, the other side is deep into the valley in the hills. The city wall is built along with the rises and falls of the hills, and the town gate is constructed according to the landform of its location, up high overlooking the harbor. Now Shipu is a national renowned historical and cultural town and one of the six central fishing ports in China.

Shipu has a long history. It is called Shipu because the ancestors live in the valley of Dajinshan Mountain, where it is surrounded by mountains on three sides, and “the mountain rocks stand approaching the sea where streams flow into”. Shipu once belonged to Yin County before the Tang Dynasty. In “the Book of Han· Treatise on Geography”, there is content referring to the ancestors living by and fishing on the sea. In 706, the second year of Shenlong Period of Tang Dynasty, Xiangshan County was established, and Shipu became one of its villages.

It was renamed as Dongmenzhai (East Gate Mountain Village) in the Song Dynasty, being part of the Houmen District of Guiren Town. In the Yuan Dynasty Dongmen Xunjiansi (an agency of patrol and inspection) was established, and in the Ming Dynasty it belonged to the third Du(the then name of a residential gathering) of Guiren Town. In 1396, Shipu Xunsi (then branch police station) was established, which was part of Dongmenzhai Xunjiansi(then police station). In the 20th year of Hongwu Period of the Ming Dynasty (1378), Changguo Wei (Changguo Fortress) was removed to Dongmenshan Mountain, and Shipu Xunsi was relocated to Qingtoushan Mountain. The front and back Suo of Changguo are relocated to Shipu and build a city which “the southeast is facing the sea, the northwest backs against the mountains, as high as 6.5 meters, as wide as 20 meters, and six hundred and 22 meters in circumference, with three gates on west, south and north sides”. It was the right flank fortress in fighting Japanese pirates, thus called “key fortress on the coast of Zhejiang”.

In the last years of the Ming Dynasty and the first years of the Qing Dynasty, General Zhang Mingzhen of Shipu established the supreme headquarter against Qing Dynasty in Shipu. Later Zhang Cangshui also was based here to fight against the Qing troops until he was arrested. In the 18th year of Shunzhi Period of the Qing Dynasty (1661), in order to eliminate the anti-Qing forces, the government forced the coastal residents to move inside, and Shipu fortress city was destroyed, leaving more than 700 meters of city gate still exist now. In the 23rd year of Kangxi Period (1684) it was repaired and it was under the charge of the twenty-first Du of Guiren Town.

In the thirty-third year of Kangxi Period (1694), the city was rebuilt, and Changshi Battalion was established, guarded by Qian Zong (the lieutenant). During Yongzheng Period (1723-1735), Changshi Navy Battalion was stationed here. In the fifth year of Daoguang Period (1826) the Tongzhi Agency for Coast Defense of Ningbo Prefecture was established. In the second year of Xuantong Period (1910) Shipu was under the charge of Changshi Town. In the first year of the Republic of China (1912), Changshi Town and Diannan Township were put under the jurisdiction of Nantian County, and the county government was moved to Shipu, but in the next autumn it was incorporated back to Xiangshan. In the 21st year of the Republic of China (1932), Shipu was divided into four sub-towns of Donglai, Nanxun, Xicheng and Beiping, which in the 23rd year were incorporated into two towns of Donglai and Jinshan, and later changed into Shipu Town the next year.

In April 1930, Japanese troops occupied Shipu and the occupation lasted for nearly five years. In July 1949, Shipu was liberated and became the location of the government of Shipu District. It later became a people’s commune, and was a town again in 1961. In 1973 Shipu was nominated one of the four major fishing ports in China by the SPC (State Planning Commission). In 1984 Fantou Township was incorporated in. In 1991 it was entitled a Provincial Renowned Historic and Cultural Town. In 1992, Shipu District was abolished and Shipu Town was expanded by incorporating three townships: Jinxing, Dongmen and Tantoushan. In 1993 it was enlisted into the Class-2 open ports. And Changguo Town was incorporated in it in 2002.

In 2005 Shipu was entitled as a National Renowned Historic and Cultural Town. In the December of 2009, it was approved by Ningbo Municipal Party Committee and Municipal Government to become one of the pilot towns in constructing the first satellite towns in Ningbo. In the December 2010, it was approved to be one of the pilot towns for constructing the first group of satellite cities.

.

【Print】 【Close】
Produced By 大汉网络 大汉版通发布系统