Home
> Ningbo China > History and Culture > Historical Sites
Qianye Hall (Monetary Guild Hall)
2019-09-12 14:47 Text Size: A A A

 Qianye Hall (Monetary Guild Hall), a provincial-level key cultural relics protection unit, is located at No. 10, Zhanchuan Street. In 1864, the third year of reign of Emperor Tongzhi (1856-1874), the office near the Binjiang Temple was set by the Monetary Guild, which was the predecessor of the Qianye Hall. Later, it was once destroyed by flames of war. The new Qianye Hall was completed in 1926. It covers more than 1,500 square meters, with two rows of houses, pavilions, parks, drama stages and a meeting hall, all of which are well preserved. As the place of decision making of the financial industry, it was designated as one of the provincial heritage sites after 1949. The hall has a nice environment inside and enjoys facile overland and water transportation conditions.

 Facing the south, the Hall is a wood and brick structure that well combines Chinese and Western elements, the stone tablet of which bearing the best testimony of its brilliant days. Banks came into being in the early Qing Dynasty. According to Annals of the Yin County, there were 36 major banks with a capital of over 60,000 yuan, and 30 minor banks with a capital of over 10,000 yuan, and over 4,000 banking agencies offering money-bill exchange services. The strength of Ningbo’s banking industry even dwarfed that of Shanghai. By 1931, the Hall had 160 member banks with the total capital asset of 38.66 million yuan. Ningbo was the place where the cash-free payment method was initiated, well testifying Ningbo’s economic boom at that time.  

【Print】 【Close】
Produced By 大汉网络 大汉版通发布系统