Home
> Ningbo China > History and Culture > Historical Sites
Baiyun Manor
2019-09-12 11:31 Text Size: A A A

Located at the western corner of Ningbo and by the bank of Guanjiang River, the Baiyun Manor was an academy where Huang Zongxi (1610-1695) gave lectures. Huang, whose style name is Taichong, was a well-known thinker, writer and historian of the late Ming and early Qing periods. Together with Gu Yanwu and Wang Fuzhi Huang was known as one of the “Three Great Thinkers” of the late Ming and early Qing periods. Huang cultivated a great many outstanding scholars who formed the East Zhejiang School. Originally the Baiyun Manor was the property of the Ministry of Revenue officer Wan Tai, where later his son Wan Sixuan, who authored the Baiyun Ji (Baiyun Collection), was buried, hence the name of Baiyun Manor. Baiyun Manor was the place where Huang Zongxi lectured. When the lectures were given, the manor was crowded with people coming for attendance.

The main building of the Baiyun Manor faces the East and has two rows of brick flat roofs. The west side was the former residence for the Wan family, where Wan Sitong, another figure of the East Zhejiang School, once lived. At the northwest side are the tombs of Wan Bangfu and Wan Sixuan. The former was the father of Wan Tai, and the latter was the fifth son of Wan Tai, an outstanding figure among his contemporaries, for whom Huang Zongxi autographed the epitaph.

Baiyun Manor, a symbol of the East Zhejiang School, enjoys high reputation both at home and abroad and it is now one of the heritage sites under provincial-level protection. Inside the manor there is a display of the objects of the Yongshang Zhengren Academy, which was set up by Huang Zongxi, and an introduction of the life of Huang Zongxi.

【Print】 【Close】
Produced By 大汉网络 大汉版通发布系统